Episode 19 features Scott Hoffmann, a golf course designer and greenkeeping consultant.
One of Scott’s projects includes the recently opened Gravel Pit Golf Course in Brainerd, Minnesota. We talked about this unique project and other design-centric questions.
Topics covered in this episode:
- Scott’s early connection to golf
- Pursuing a turfgrass management degree at Michigan State
- Early lessons as a superintendent
- Exploring golf course design
- The Gravel Pit Golf Course design
- Advantages and disadvantages of building on a gravel pit
- Hours logged in the design phase
- Random tasks and factors to consider
- Finding water
- The short course trend
- Seeing your design work come to life
We wrap everything up with a 5 question lightning round.
Need a few reasons to visit Minnesota? Scott gives his pitch.