Episode 4 features Dr. Mike Goatley, a Virginia Tech professor specializing in turfgrass.
Mike travels throughout the state of Virginia developing educational outreach programs focused on all areas of turfgrass management. He’s a great guy and an engaging guest.
Mike Goatley the only person I know with:
- a bachelor’s degree in Agronomy
- a Master’s Degree in Crop Sciences and
- a Ph.D. in Crop and Soil Sciences
All that to say, you should tune in. I promise you’re going to learn something.
Topics covered in this episode:
- Mike’s first impressions of golf
- Lincoln Homestead State Park Golf Course
- How Mike ended up in the world of turfgrass (credit to Dr. A.J. Powell, Jr.)
- Working with bermudagrass
- Warm vs. cool season grasses
- The “perfect” climate for turfgrass management
- Turfgrass research examples and funding
- How turfgrass developments end up in the real world
We ended with a lightning round of 10 questions. Dr. Goatley leaves us with a few tips for curating the perfect lawn.
Will Mike ever ride in a self-driving car? Listen in to find out.
Connect with Dr. Goatley
Listen to our other podcast episodes.